March 25, 2021 in CUSTOMER ADVISORY
Customer Advisory: UPDATE – CBSA eManifest HBL Filing for Freight Forwarders & NVOCC’s
UPDATE: CANADA CUSTOMS eMANIFEST HOUSE BL FILING FOR FREIGHT FORWARDERS & NVOCC’S
March 25, 2021
Effective on January 4, 2021, the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) implemented the eManifest House BL (eHBL) filing initiative for Freight Forwarders/NVOCC’s (Customs Notice 20-28). On this date, a 6-month period of informed compliance and zero-rated penalties began.
APL Logistics is pleased to advise our implementation of eManifest filings as follows:
- Effective for sailings from March 29, 2021, onwards.
- ACI/eManifest filing fee rate will remain at USD $45 per initial filing and USD $40 for re-transmission.
- Arrival Notices for all shipments will continue to be issued. In addition, we will provide a paper copy of the eHBL and Close Message Confirmation documents.
The eManifest is an initiative by CBSA to enhance cross-border commercial processes and represents the third phase of the Advance Commercial Information (ACI) program. Under the eHBL program, the Freight Forwarder/NVOCC for cargo imported into or moving in-transit through Canada must transmit advanced secondary data 24 hours prior to loading cargo at a foreign port.
The eManifest preparations date back to 2016-2017. However, the implementation was postponed due to CBSA system enhancements. In 2020, CBSA announced readiness to move forward with full implementation.
The current timeframe for the eManifest requirement:
- Beginning January 4, 2021: eManifest filing is mandatory, and there will be a six-month informed compliance period, and zero-rated penalties will be assessed.
- Early July 2021: CBSA has advised that non-compliance of eManifest filings may be assessed monetary penalties.
APL Logistics is working closely with all trading partners in eManifest implementation with CBSA. The migration to eManifest will be seamless for our customers. Should you require any additional information, please do not hesitate to contact your APLL Representative.
About APL Logistics
APL Logistics is the go-to global supply chain specialist for companies in the Automotive, Consumer, Industrials, and Retail sectors. The APL Logistics group of companies has a global network covering all major markets and is backed by a multinational workforce of over 6,800 people. APL Logistics Ltd is a member of the Kintetsu World Express group, a global logistics services provider. For more information, www.apllogistics.com or email us at email@example.com and connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, and YouTube.